Home Accidents Under the New Restrictions

With England now entering a second lockdown, and more restrictions being introduced, there will be a lot more time spent at home for many of us.  But did you know that home accidents are amongst the most common accidents that happen in the UK?

According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), there are approximately 6,000 deaths a year in the UK due to home accidents. Whilst some of these accidents are no one’s fault, there are some accidents that may happen because of someone else’s negligence.

Home Accidents due to Landlord Negligence

If you live in a property that you rent and you have an accident, you may be able to claim. If it is an accident that has happened because of the negligence of your landlord then they may be liable. Landlords have a duty of care to you and must ensure that you do not have an accident because of a defect in your home.

Your landlord has a legal obligation to follow the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. Landlords, in this Act, must ensure by law that they provide a building that:

  • Is safe to live in
  • Is free from damp and well ventilated
  • Can withstand normal weather conditions
  • Is in a reasonable state of repair both inside and outside

If your landlord fails in any of these areas, you may be able to claim compensation. For example, if you have had a slip, trip or fall because of defective steps or loose floorboards, your landlord may be held responsible, as they are responsible for taking the necessary precautions to stop accidents like these happening.

Children and Home Accidents

Children are some of the most likely to have a home accident. If your child has had an accident and it was the fault of someone else, then you may be able to make a claim on their behalf. The usual three-year period to make a claim does not start for a child until they turn 18, so you have longer to make a potential claim. however, it is always best to start as soon as possible.

Home Accidents due to Faulty Products

Faulty products are another thing that may cause home accidents. If there is a fault in the design or manufacture of a product and it causes you an injury, then you may be able to make a claim. you may also be able to make a claim if the product was not maintained correctly.

How We Can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts, we work with solicitors who deal with all types of personal injury claims. this includes home accidents. This means they are well-placed to help you get the compensation you may be entitled to. Contact us today by filling in our contact form, or call us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.