Compensation Claims Against The Council

With the help of expert and experienced solicitors, we make council compensation claims possible.

Considering Compensation Claims against the Council?

Your local authority has the responsibility to take all reasonable steps to make council property safe. These features include council buildings like schools and parks, council-owned homes, roads, pavements, and street lighting.

Did you suffer injury on council property due to their failure to fulfil their duty of care? If so, The Compensation Experts can help you through the process of making a claim against the council.

What is a Compensation Claim against the Council?

Council compensation claims can include:

  • Damage sustained from a pothole that is more than one inch (2.5 centimetres) deep. Instances can include tripping in the pothole while walking, cycling into the pothole and being hurt in a resulting crash, or a pothole causing a car accident in which you are injured, or your car damaged
  • Injuries sustained while tripping on uneven paving or pavement where a stone is sticking up by at least one inch
  • Being injured at work if you are a council employee, including through not being provided with adequate protective equipment or training
  • You or your child being hurt by faulty or poorly maintained playground equipment
  • Getting food poisoning from a council catering facility like a school canteen or café in a leisure centre

What Can you Claim Council Compensation Payouts For?

If you’ve experienced an accident or damages, as a result of the council’s negligence, you could make a claim against council departments for:

  • Physical injury
  • The long-term effects your injury will have on your life
  • Loss of income while incapacitated due to your injuries
  • The cost of medical treatment
  • In some cases, psychological damage

How to Make a Claim Against the Council

Whether you are a resident in their borough or not, local authorities have a duty of care to take reasonable steps to ensure the area is safe.

Council compensation pay outs start by talking to an agent at The Compensation Experts who will answer your questions, and give you the information you need to make informed choices.

This initial conversation is free, and there is no obligation on your behalf.

The law firms that we work with operate on a no win no fee basis, so you’ll only pay if your claim is successful.

Typically, customers pay 25% including VAT of the compensation amount that is recovered by our third-party law firms, although this is subject to your individual circumstances and the actual fee may be more or less than this. For example, you may be required to pay an additional fee for other costs such as after-the-event (ATE) insurance. Termination fees may apply.

What Do You Need to Prove When Making a Claim Against the Council?

As with most personal injury claims, the responsibility lies with you (the claimant) to prove your case. We work with leading solicitors around the country, and will match you with one with the most suitable experience in making council claims.

They will collect the evidence to demonstrate that you were harmed and the extent of damages your injury has caused. Finally, and most importantly, they will prove that your accident could have been avoided if the council had not been negligent.

Once your lawyer has compiled your claim, they will submit it to the council’s legal department, who has 21 days to acknowledge. They may accept liability; in which case your lawyer will negotiate until they reach a fair compensation amount you are happy with. Alternatively, they may deny responsibility for your injury. In this instance, your lawyer will submit the claim to court and continue to negotiate with the council’s lawyers to reach an agreement before the case goes before a judge.

Get in touch with The Compensation Experts today and let us help you. You can call directly or, if you prefer, fill in our online contact form and ask us to call you at a more suitable time.

    Start by speaking to our expert team now and find out how much your claim could be worth...

    Am I eligible?

    If you have been harmed physically or suffered damages in the last 3 years, due to the council’s negligence, you might be able to make a claim.
    Exceptions to this are for instance industrial disease or if you were a child at the time of the incident. In both of these cases, you may then have a longer period to initiate council compensation claims.

    Find out more

    How much could I claim?

    As every injury is different, the process of making a claim against the council differs between cases. Factors that lead to the final figure include the extent of your injuries, earnings missed out on, and future losses.
    Our dedicated team of council claims experts will give you an indication of how much compensation you could potentially win.

    Find out more

    How does the process work?

    When making a claim against council staff or a department, it’s important to know what to expect of the process. That’s why we make each step as transparent & clear as possible.
    Your solicitor will gather all the evidence, and notify the council that you wish to begin claim proceedings. With your solicitor negotiating on your behalf, you will be kept up to date every step of the way.

    Find out more