Easter Accidents in Public

With the Easter weekend just around the corner, many people will be looking forward to being able to meet people outside again. However, with the long weekend comes a long weekend of walking, which can lead to a rise in Easter weekend accidents in public places such as parks, in children’s play areas and on pavements.

Easter accidents in public

There are a few accidents that can happen over the Easter weekend. Some of these accidents include: slips or trips on pavements whilst out walking, accidents on children’s playgrounds due to faulty or broken playground equipment, and road traffic accidents. And because we can now meet other people outside, accidents in public places may even increase.

Pavement accidents

The most common type of public accidents are slips, trips and falls. These accidents can happen on the pavement, on the road or on public footpaths in parks. They are usually caused by potholes or defects in the ground.

There are certain rules when claiming for tripping on a pothole or defect in a pavement or road. On a pavement, a pothole or defect must be at least an inch deep or raised. In the road, this must be at least 2 inches deep and at least 12 inches wide.

Playground accidents

With many children on their Easter break from school, going to a playground during Easter weekend may be common. If a child has an accident on a playground due to faulty or broken playground equipment, then you may be able to make a claim on their behalf.

The Responsibility of Local Authorities

The Highways Act 1980 states that local authorities are responsible for keeping all roads and footpaths safe to use. Keeping all roads and pavements marble smooth at all times is both unnecessary and impractical. However a council has a legal duty to repair any damage that occurs to surfaces. They must do this by making repairs within six months of being notified of the risk. If a local council does not do this and someone has an accident, then they may be liable.

Road traffic accidents

If you have had a road traffic accident because of someone else’s carelessness on the road, then you may be able to claim compensation.

When you have a road traffic accident, your injuries can be severe. They can range from whiplash and soft tissue damage, to more serious injuries. In the worst cases, they can even be fatal. Even the smallest injuries can take a while to heal after a road traffic accident.

You may have to take time off work to recover, and therefore lose out financially. Your car may have also suffered some damage, and you may even have to replace it. If all of this happened in an accident that was not your fault, then it can be even worse.

How we can help

Here at The Compensation Experts we work with solicitors who have years of experience dealing with all manner of personal injury claims. This includes accidents in public places and on the roads. Contact us today by filling in our contact form. Or call us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.