QUESTION: What Personal Injury Claim Evidence Do I Need?
As the claimant, it is your role to prove that you were injured directly as the result of another person’s accident or negligence, which is why it is crucial to the success of your claim that you work with a specialist personal injury lawyer.
Evidence you will need to support your personal injury claim will include:
- Your medical records including those from the hospital if you needed emergency treatment, or your GP if you did not. Your solicitor may also recommend you are assessed by an independent medical expert who will produce a report to help substantiate your claim.
- Photographs of your injuries, including subsequent scarring
- Pictures of the accident site showing the aftermath of the accident, if possible. If you need to return to take photos make sure it is at the same time of day to give the most accurate representation of the conditions at the time of your accident. If you tripped over uneven paving or fell in a pothole, use a ruler in the photo to show the height or depth of the obstacle.
- Diagrams depicting how the accident occurred (e.g., which direction cars were travelling in an RTA)
- Reports from police or emergency services, if they attended the scene or the copy of the RIDDOR accident report from your employer
- Witness statements from anyone who saw or heard your accident, as well as parties who can attest that the conditions leading up to your accident were unreasonably unsafe (for example, if machinery at work was not being maintained according to schedule)
- A diary detailing any appointments you had regarding your injury, as well as your physical and mental condition. Keep track of any things you need assistance with, such as if your spouse has to help you get dressed, or you are unable to do your grocery shopping without help.
- Details and receipts of any expenses incurred as the result of your accident, including things like the travel cost to get to doctor appointments or work if you are unable to drive.
- Proof of ownership or details of any personal belongings you are seeking compensation for, such as a bicycle ruined in an RTA or cycling accident.
In addition to the above evidence to prove the extent and cause of your injuries, you will also need to prove your identity and that you have the means to pay the defendant’s legal expenses if your claim is unsuccessful. The latter is usually in the form of insurance which you may already have as part of your home insurance, or which you can take out through an “after the event” insurance policy. This information is also required by your lawyer for them to meet regulations that prevent money laundering.
Get Expert Legal Advice
We always advise clients to seek legal advice at the earliest opportunity. Although you have, in most instances, three years in which to submit a personal injury compensation claim to court, it is far easier to collect evidence in the aftermath of an accident when information is easily available, and the experience is still fresh in your mind and those of your witnesses.
Talk to The Compensation Experts today. We are happy to offer a free, no-obligation consultation to answer your questions about claiming compensation for personal injury.
Need some help?
Am I eligible?
If you have been harmed physically in the last 3 years, due to someone else’s negligence, the short answer is yes.
Exceptions to this are for instance industrial disease or if you were a child at the time of the accident you may have a longer period to claim.
How much could I claim?
As every injury is different, the amount of compensation paid out can differ case to case. Varying factors lead to the final figure include: extent of your injuries, earnings missed out on, future losses and more.
Our dedicated team of experts will give you an indication of how much you could potentially claim for.
How does the process work?
We understand that when making a claim it’s important to know what to expect and when to expect it. That’s why we make the process as transparent & clear as possible.
Your solicitor will gather all the evidence and will notify the negligent party that you wish to begin claim proceedings. With your solicitor negotiating on your behalf, you will be keep up to date every step of the way.
Why should you use us?
No Win No Fee*
We assess all claims on a No Win No Fee basis, then we can determine how successful a claim is likely to be. This service is 100% free.
We assess each claim on its merits with the information provide, which aids us determine its likely success rate.
Our dedicated panel are experts in securing compensation no matter the injury.
Our personal injury solicitors are committed to securing the best possible outcome for you while providing expert support every step of the way.
Personal Dedicated Solicitors
Each client is provided with their own Personal Injury solicitor who will work on the case from start to finish, being there every step of the way. The client will be provided with a direct phone number and direct email address of the solicitor.
Expert no win no fee solicitors working for you
We specialise in helping victims of injury claim the compensation they deserve.
We work on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning if we don’t win your case you don’t pay! Once you make contact, our experienced team will work to recover the maximum compensation you are entitled to.