Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
We specialise in helping victims claim the compensation they deserve. Find out everything you need to know about personal injury attorneys below.
What is a personal injury lawyer?
In simple terms, a personal injury lawyer, or personal accident lawyer, is an individual who provides legal services to an individual who has been injured as a result of an accident or someone else’s negligence.
When do you need a personal injury lawyer?
In most cases, speaking with a personal accident lawyer is the first step victims take when making a personal injury claim. They will consider your claim to ensure it’s eligible and then represent you in order to successfully win said claim.
However, an injury claim lawyer is far more than simply a name on a letter. When you hire a personal injury lawyer, you also hire a legal team who will fight your corner with their expertise in personal injury law.
Your team knows exactly what evidence is necessary, whose witness statement is more valuable to your claim, how to negotiate with other solicitors, and when to consider or reject a personal injury claim offer.
A personal injury lawyer is 100% committed to securing the best possible outcome for your claim. In the case of a serious personal injury, that could mean the difference between payments in the tens of thousands or the hundreds of thousands.
In short, an injury claim lawyer will:
- Determine whether your claim has a strong likelihood of succeeding
- Collect and understand the evidence you need and how to submit it to show your claim is valid
- Not be intimidated by dealing with other solicitors who are fighting against paying you
- Know personal injury law in detail and how it relates to your specific claim
- Have the experience to know when to accept an offer, and when to reject one
- Shield you from the stress and difficult aspects of making a claim by handling the entire process
Their experience alone almost always makes it worth seeking the aid of an injury claim lawyer whenever you want to make a personal injury claim. Speak with our experts today and we’ll put you in touch with our expert injury lawyers.
How to make a personal injury claim yourself?
There’s nothing stopping you from pursuing a personal injury claim without the assistance of an injury claim lawyer. However, this means following all of the various required legal steps will be up to you.
The following is an overview of the potential steps you may have to take in order to conduct a successful personal injury claim:
- Sending a letter before claim or claim notification form to the offending party. This will outline the accident circumstance, your injuries, losses, and the reason you believe the other party to be at fault
- Submitting evidence regardless of whether the offending side accepts or denies responsibility
- Gathering evidence with an independent expert to prove the veracity of your claim, usually in the form of a specialist medical report or damage assessment. You will likely have to pay for these reports yourself
- Working out the ultimate value of your claim based on past and future losses, as well as pain and injuries suffered as a result of the accident
- Conducting court proceedings if required, including paying any necessary court fees
- Preparing for the trial following the court proceedings, which may include gathering witnesses and experts and paying someone to represent you in court
- Paying the offending side for damages if you lose the aforementioned trial
As you can see, conducting a personal injury claim by yourself is no simple matter, and can usually take longer and cost more than if you were to seek the aid of personal injury attorneys. In some cases, the aggrieved party’s solicitor may simply ignore your claim without proper legal backing.
Can I reply to a solicitor’s letter myself?
Much like representing yourself in a personal injury claim, you can reply to a solicitor’s letter personally if someone believes you to be the offending party. However, as with self-representation, it is often a much better idea to seek the help of personal injury attorneys as they have the legal know–how to ensure your claim or defence Is taken seriously.
How long should you wait to hire a personal injury lawyer?
In most circumstances, you will have three years from the date of your accident in which to engage the services of a personal injury lawyer. However, the most successful claims are often those which are started shortly after an accident when evidence is easier to obtain, and the details are still clear in witnesses’ memories. Therefore, you should seek legal advice as soon as possible after your accident occurs.
Even if you’ve yet to decide whether you want to begin making a claim, having the knowledge of what you are entitled to claim, what to do in the claims process, and how long it will take for your claim to complete will help you make the right decision for you and your family when the time comes.
How to pick a personal injury lawyer
Making any type of compensation claim can be stressful, which is why it’s important to find a personal injury lawyer who’s the right fit for you. At The Compensation Experts, we work with personal injury lawyers who’ve spent years acquiring the knowledge and experience necessary to negotiate the highest possible compensation for our clients. And if you want to make a personal injury claim but are worried about costs, you can read about our no win no fee* policy right here.
*Conditions may apply
Am I eligible?
If you’ve suffered a personal injury due to an accident or someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. You have 3 years to make a personal injury claim, but the earlier you make the claim, the more likely you are to be successful in winning compensation.
Exceptions to this can include industrial disease or if you were a child at the time of the accident. In these cases, you may have an even longer period to claim.
How much could I claim?
As every personal injury claim is different, the amount of compensation paid out can differ on a case to case basis. Varying factors leading to the final figure may include the extent of your injuries, earnings missed out on, future losses, and more.
Speak to our dedicated team of experts and we’ll give you an indication of how much you could potentially claim.
How does the process work?
We understand that, when making a claim, it’s important to know what to expect and when to expect it. That’s why we make the process as transparent & clear as possible.
Your solicitor will gather all the necessary evidence and notify the negligent party that you wish to begin claim proceedings. With your solicitor negotiating on your behalf, you’ll be kept up to date every step of the way.