Workplace injuries: know your rights

As 2017 begins, it is truly worrying to look at last year’s official HSE report. Over a million people in the UK suffered from work-related injuries or illness in 2016.

When you are at work, your employer has a legal responsibility to report any accidents, pay you sick pay and allow you to have time off because of an accident you suffer at work, should it be necessary.

To give you an idea of the scale of this issue, the most recent figures published by the HSE show that:

• 621,000 injuries occurred at work in 2016
• 30.4 million working days were lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury last year
• The estimated annual cost of injuries and ill health from current working conditions is a staggering £14.1 billion

How to report an injury

All employers must keep an accident book. This is a legal requirement, and it is for the benefit of employees. It offers a useful record of what happened and when in case you need time off work or you need to claim compensation.

Who is responsible?

The first thing a responsible employer should do once the initial accident or injury has been dealt with is to carry out a risk assessment and do whatever is needed to ensure that a similar incident does not happen again.

It is important to remember that you and your fellow employees do also have to take reasonable action to ensure that your health and safety needs are taken care of.


If you have been injured at work and you believe that your employer is at fault, you are within your rights to make a personal injury claim. Any claim must be made within three years of the date of the accident and you will usually need to hire a lawyer to represent you. Contact us for more information.

Hello, how can I help?