Woman in Hospital After Hit and Run Accident with Motorbike in Newport

An 83-year-old woman is in hospital after a motorcycle hit her and then fled the scene in Newport. The woman suffered head, shoulder, and arm injuries in the accident. The woman was a pedestrian in the hit and run accident.

Pedestrian Accidents

A pedestrian accident is a road traffic accident that involves a pedestrian and a vehicle. The most common pedestrian accidents are cases where a pedestrian is hit by a vehicle. This can be due to

  • Vehicles speeding
  • Not paying attention whilst driving
  • Driving whilst under the influence
  • Driving carelessly
  • Ignoring the rules of the road
  • Hit and run accidents

A pedestrian accident can cause serious injuries. This is because pedestrians rarely, if ever, have any way of protecting themselves from a vehicle. Subsequently, if you have experienced a particularly traumatising traffic accident, you may find that your mental health is impacted as much as your physical health.

Who is to Blame for the Newport Hit and Run Accident?

There are instances where the motorcyclist may be at fault, and there are instances where it may be someone else’s fault. Instances where a motorcyclist may be at fault include not having lights on their bike, riding whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or riding carelessly. If a motorcyclist has not followed the rules set out in The Highway Code, then they may also be at fault.

There are also cases where the pedestrian can be at fault. These include crossing without looking, crossing behind a parked vehicle, acting recklessly, and wearing dark clothing at night.

In the case of the Newport accident, the police do not know who was at fault for the accident. However, the motorcyclist fled the scene after the accident, which may mean that they were the party at fault for the accident. The local police are currently investigating the accident.

Claiming for A Hit and Run Accident

If you were involved in an accident where the driver is untraceable, then you may still be able to make a claim. In these cases, The Motor Insurers’ Bureau run the claim. The Motor Insurers’ Bureau is an organisation that insurance companies pay into, in the event of an accident where one of the parties is an uninsured or untraced driver. This would be the case if the driver involved either drove away or they were uninsured.

However, you must report all road traffic pedestrian accident claims to the police at the time of the accident, or soon afterwards. The Motor Insurers’ Bureau will then pay the compensation rather than the insurance company.

How We Can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts we work with solicitors who have years of experience dealing with all manner of personal injury claims. This includes pedestrian accidents and motorcycle accidents. If you were injured in a hit and run accident, contact us by filling in our contact form. Or call us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.