Cycling Road Traffic Accidents Consultation

Cycling Road Traffic Accidents are amongst some of the most common types of RTA. Cyclists are amongst some of the most vulnerable types of road user. Cycling road traffic accidents also commonly cause injuries that can take a while to heal.

There is currently a consultation going on in the Government as to whether to change the rules in the highway code to reflect these different types of road user. This consultation focuses on improving the safety for vulnerable road users; in particular, cyclists, pedestrians, and horse riders.

The main proposals of the consultation are:

  • To introduce a hierarchy of road users which ensures those road users who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they may pose to others.
  • Clarifying existing rules on pedestrian priority on pavements, to advise that drivers should give way to pedestrians crossing or those waiting to cross the road.
  • Providing guidance on cyclist priority at junctions to advise drivers to give priority at junctions when travelling straight ahead.
  • Establishing guidance on safe passing distances and speeds when overtaking cyclists and horse riders.

The consultation finished on the 27th October 2020, with the results expected soon after.

Cycling Road Traffic Accidents

Cyclists are amongst the most vulnerable road users. Many of the road traffic accidents that happen every year in the UK involve cyclists. If you have been injured in an accident on the road as a cyclist then you may be able to claim compensation.

There are various reasons that cyclists can have an accident. The main causes of accidents on the road are: careless driving, speeding, and drivers not paying attention. They can often cause injury, and these injuries can take a while to heal.

Accidents involving uninsured drivers

Sometimes, in road traffic accidents, there are uninsured or untraceable drivers. In cases such as these, you may be able to claim from the Motor Insurers Bureau. The MIB specialise in cases of uninsured drivers, and is a body that is paid into by motor insurance companies throughout the UK. In cases that involve the MIB, they would pay the compensation.

Accidents involving a child

If your child had an accident whilst cycling, then you may be able to make a claim on their behalf. With accidents involving a child, the usual three-year time limit does not come into effect until they turn 18. So, in theory, you may have a longer time in which to make a claim. however, it is always better to start a potential claim as soon as possible.

How we can help

Here at The Compensation Experts, we work with solicitors who specialise in road traffic accidents. This includes cycling accidents. This means that they are extremely well placed to help you make a possible claim if you were involved in a road traffic accident as a cyclist. Contact us today by filling in our contact form, or call us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.