Accidents on Public Transport for Students

University students across the UK are currently travelling home for Christmas, with many using public transport. During this time, with the rush for many students to get home before the 9th December, the likelihood of accidents on public transport may rise. There could be more road traffic accidents, or accidents at stations due to the rush of people travelling.

Students have been told to travel between 3-9 December if they test negative for COVID-19. This is because the infection rates will generally be lower after the mass testing that they have undergone. They are planning on doing this to reduce the risk of the students passing the virus to their loved ones. The government and universities are likely to stagger the return to universities after the Christmas period in January.

Students on Public Transport

There will undoubtedly be a lot of students using public transport during this week, and with that the amount of accidents may rise. Accidents on public transport can occur on buses, trains, taxis, and more.

According to a report by the BBC, students in England can travel as long as they have had a negative test result. In Scotland students must have two negative test results in 5 days before they can travel. If students test positive, then they must self-isolate before being able to travel.

The public transport companies may add extra transport for this period. This may also cause the number of accidents to rise.

Accidents on Public Transport

The main accident that can occur on public transport is a road traffic accident (RTA). For example, if you are on a bus and a driver hits the bus, or vice-versa, then you may be able to claim. This includes if the accident was the bus driver’s fault.

Another accident that may happen on public transport includes accidents because of the rush of people trying to get on transport, such as a fall at a station. If you have fallen at a station, and it was someone else’s fault, such as a floor that has been recently cleaned but does not have a wet floor sign, then you may be able to make a claim.

What to do if you have an accident on public transport?

If you have an accident on public transport, the first thing you need to do is report the accident. That can be to the bus driver, the bus or train company, or the taxi company. Then you need to make a GP appointment or go to A&E to see the extent of your injuries.

It could also be beneficial to you if there are witnesses to the accident. That could be other passengers or other drivers that were involved in the accident. Or it could be any staff if your accident happened at a station.

How We Can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts, we work with solicitors who have years of experience dealing with personal injury claims. This includes accidents on public transport. Contact us today by filling in our contact form, or by calling us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly, knowledgeable advisors.