Launch of campaign to reduce motorcycle collisions

Dorset police and Dorset Road Safe Partnership are working together, along with DocBike, to try and reduce motorcycle collisions this Spring. This comes after reports show that, in Dorset, per mile travelled, more motorcyclists die or are critically injured than any other road user. Nationally, approximately 10 motorcyclists are killed or seriously injured every day.

 In an effort to prevent road deaths across the county, the scheme is encouraging all road users to take that extra bit of time, particularly at junctions, and THINK BIKE! The campaign which is called ‘Think Bike, Have You Been Seen’, runs from 1st April until 31st October 2021. It will see unique road signs in key locations where many motorcyclists have had accidents in Dorset to date. 

An Inspector from Dorset Police stated: “Every year motorcycle fatalities peak throughout the spring and summer time. This is likely due to the better weather encouraging riders to travel more readily on two wheels.  The causes of collisions are a mixture of rider error and drivers not looking properly.”

Motorcycle Collisions

Nearly three-quarters of all motorcycle accidents involve a car, van, or lorry. In motorcycle accidents the lack of vehicle protection leaves riders incredibly vulnerable to catastrophic injury. Even the most responsible rider may have an accident which was not their fault.

The biggest reason behind compensation claims for motorbike accidents, accounting for nearly two-thirds, is the driver of the other vehicle ignoring the motorcyclist’s right of way either because they have not seen the motorcycle until it is too late, or because they are unaware of the laws about motorcyclists rights on the roads.

Some of the most common examples of motorcycle injury claims are:

  • Fractures
  • Whiplash
  • Head and spinal injuries
  • Fatalities

Road Traffic Accident or Motor Insurance Bureau Claim?

If you have an accident whilst on a motorcycle and you did not get the details of the driver, you may still be able to make a claim from the Motor Insurers Bureau. The Motor Insurers Bureau is an organisation that insurance companies pay into in the event of an accident with an uninsured or untraced driver. This would be the case if the driver drove away or they were uninsured. You must report your accident to the police at the time of the accident, or soon afterwards. The Motor Insurance Bureau will then pay the compensation rather than the insurance company.

How we can help

Here at The Compensation Experts we work with solicitors who have years of experience dealing with personal injury claims. This includes road traffic accidents involving motorcycles. Contact us today by filling in our contact form. Or call us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.

Electric Scooter Accidents and the Law

Electric scooters have become increasingly popular over the past few years across Europe, and, more recently, the UK. This is largely due to the fact that they are easy to use, portable and environmentally friendly. However, the laws around these scooters are widely unknown, and this can lead to electric scooter accidents.

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooters, or E-scooters as they are more commonly known, are common in scooter shares around Europe. This is when a person rents the scooter and is able to use it for a certain amount of time. Whilst there are a couple of cities in the UK that are also piloting the scheme, notably Bristol, Bath and London, most E-scooters in the UK are privately owned. This therefore makes them illegal to use on anything other than private land.

Scooters in the UK are classified as “powered transporters”. This means that they fall under the same legislation as motor vehicles. They would therefore need to meet the same standards under the Road Traffic Act 1988 to be legalised in public. They must be insured, registered with the DVLA and taxed. To use an E scooter on private land, you don’t need to have a valid license or insurance. They are not legal for use on public roads. 

As it stands if you’re caught using a privately-owned electric scooter on public land, you’re liable to receive a £300 fine, 6 points on your license and the possibility of having your scooter confiscated.

When using a rental E scooter as part of the trials, The Met Police have also said that fines and penalty points will be distributed for actions reflecting the laws around driving a motor vehicle. These include:

  • jumping a red light
  • riding on the pavement
  • using a mobile phone
  • surpassing the E scooter speed limit

Electric Scooter Accidents

Due to the fact that E-scooters must meet the same standards as motor vehicles, if you have an accident involving an electric scooter then you may be able to make a claim. If the accident was caused by the person riding the electric scooter, then they may be to blame for the accident.

If you have an electric scooter accident as a passenger then you may be able to make a claim. This is because scooters are not legally allowed to be on public pavements, so they would be to blame for the accident. There are other examples where the person riding the scooter is uninsured or untraceable. In these cases, you may still be able to make a claim. The Motor Insurers’ Bureau was set up especially to deal with compensation claims for people who have had accidents involving uninsured or untraceable drivers.

How we can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts we work with solicitors who have years of experience dealing with all manner of personal injury claims. This includes electric scooter accidents and other types of road accidents. Contact us today by filling in our contact form. Or call us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.

Cyclists Rights on Roads

Cycling is a travel option that divides a lot of people. On the one hand, it is better for the environment and our health, but on the other hand some people argue that cyclists do not follow the rules of the road, and have a disregard of their and others rights. You may think that cyclists rights on the roads are different than vehicles because they do not have to pay the same road tax. That is not true, cyclists rights on the roads are essentially the same as vehicles rights on the roads.

Cyclists Rights on Roads

Cyclists have the same rights on the roads as other road users, but they also have other rules. For example, at a junction, cyclists are usually permitted to go ahead of vehicles to stop at traffic lights.

Cyclists can use the full width of the lane as much as anyone else. They are also allowed to ride two abreast. Cyclists do not have to use the designated cycle lane on the roads. However, cyclists are encouraged to ride single file where possible to avoid collisions.

Bicycles do not have to have a bell fitted by law. The law states that calling out to give a warning is sufficient. The only equipment that a bicycle must legally have are reflectors and working brakes, plus front and rear lights if the cyclist intends to bike at night. However, the Highway Code does advise consideration of pedestrians in this, and whilst calling out may be acceptable, a bell may be more socially considerate.

Lane Splitting

Lane splitting, when cyclists undertake and overtake cars and change lanes in order to move through traffic faster, is perfectly legal.

The Highway Code states that road users should be aware of others when travelling. It also mentions cyclists should avoid filtering in and out of traffic if it could cause conflict with another person. An example of this is when approaching a junction. Overtaking is the safest way to do this, as it is generally less dangerous than undertaking.

Speed Limits

Unlike vehicles, there is no speed limit for cyclists on the roads. However, some local authorities do impose speed limits for cyclists. They must also follow a speed limit in the Royal parks.

Although speeding is not an offence in itself, cyclists who cycle dangerously are committing an offence under section 28 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. This means that they can face fines of up to £2500. Careless cycling is also an offence under section 29 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. This is when a cyclist uses the road without due care and attention for other road users. A cyclist doing this may face a fine of up to £1000.

The Most Common Causes of Cycling Accidents

Accidents involving cyclists can happen for all sorts of reasons. However, in our experience, the most common causes of cycling accident claims include:

  • Hit and run road traffic accidents.
  • Collision with a car, vehicle or even another cyclist or a pedestrian.
  • Vehicle doors opening into the path of an oncoming cyclist.
  • Potholes, worn tarmac, raised manhole covers and other defects in the road.
  • Any slippery road conditions due to oil spills, ice and snow.

Many cyclists don’t realise that if an accident was someone else’s fault, a cyclist can claim compensation.

Who Is at Fault for Cycling Accidents?

There are instances in cycling accidents where the cyclist may be at fault, and there are instances where it may be someone else’s fault. instances where a cyclist may be at fault include not wearing high visibility clothing, not having lights on their bike, cycling whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or cycling carelessly. If a cyclist has not followed the rules set out in The Highway Code, then they may also be at fault.

Cyclists Rights on Roads: How We Can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts we work with solicitors who have years of experience in all manner of personal injury claims. This includes accidents on the road involving cyclists. Contact us today by filling in our contact form, or by calling us on 0800 182 2187 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.

Reporting Your Accident

No matter the type of accident you have, reporting your accident is important. It is important for a number of reasons, including for proof of your accident happening. Other reasons include: so the other party knows the accident happened, loss of earnings due to taking time off work, medical reasons, and to ensure it does not happen again.

According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) more than 14,000 people die as a result of accidents every year, with thousands more having injuries.

Reporting Your Accident at Work

If you have an accident at work, it is important to report the accident to your employer. In workplaces where there is an accident book, you must make sure you log the accident in there. If not, you must report the accident verbally to a manager or supervisor.

When reporting your accident at work, it is important to note down the date and time of the accident, the cause of the accident, whether there were any witnesses, the treatment you had, and the amount of time you had to take off work.

Reporting Your Accident in a Public Place

Having an accident in a public place may mean that there are a few people that you need to think about when reporting your accident. If you fell in a shop, you need to report your accident to the shop owner or manager. Most shops will also have an accident book or form, so it is important to fill that in too.

If you have an accident on the street, for example, a trip on the pavement, then you will need to report your accident to the council. However, if the council have sent you a claims form, it is important that you do not fill that in and send back if you would like to make a personal injury claim. Nevertheless, the council does need to know about any defects in pavements or roads, so it is still important to report your accident.

Reporting Your Accident on the Road

If you have an accident on the road, for example, a road traffic accident, there are a couple of people you may need to think about reporting your accident to. You must report the accident to your insurance, and take the details of the other person involved in the accident. This is usually their name, registration number and insurance details.

You may also need to report your accident to the police. This is almost always the case in road traffic accidents, as the police are usually called to the scene. If they are not, it is still important to report your accident to them.

How We Can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts, we work with solicitors who have years of experience in dealing with all types of personal injury claims. This includes accidents at work, accidents in public places, and accidents on the road. Contact us today by filling in our contact form, or by calling us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.

Delivery Drivers Work Accidents

The festive season is no doubt the busiest time of year for delivery drivers, and this year they are busier than ever. With everyone staying at home, and online shopping increasing, the extra work may mean that delivery drivers have more work accidents.

The Christmas rush means that there will be more delivery drivers on roads. There are many work accidents that delivery drivers can face, from road traffic accidents to manual handling accidents, and even accidents on customer’s property.

Manual Handling Accidents

One of the biggest causes of work accidents to delivery drivers is manual handling accidents. They often happen due to inadequate or incorrect training. They could also happen due to vans being overloaded.

Employers must ensure that all their staff have the correct training to do manual handling work. If you have had inadequate or incorrect training, your employer may be at fault for your accident. The most common injuries from manual handling accidents are back injuries, according to the Health and Safety Executive.

Your employer must follow the rules set out in the Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992. This reduces the chances of accidents happening and is designed to protect staff.

Road Traffic Accidents

Having a road traffic accident at any time is bad but having one whilst you are working is even worse. The main cause of road traffic accidents is careless driving. If you have a road traffic accident whilst at work, you must make sure you report the accident to your employer as well as getting the details of the other driver and, if necessary, contacting the police.

Work Accidents whilst delivering

Another work accident that a delivery driver may have is an accident on the property where they are delivering. This could be a slip, trip or fall, a manual handling accident, or even a dog bite. There are various people who may be at fault if you have an accident on the property of the place you are delivering to.

If it is a business, then it is the business owner who may be at fault. This is especially true if you tripped on uneven paving. In this case, the blame could also fall with the local council, so it is important to take pictures of the defect.

If you are injured at someone’s house, and the person you are making the delivery to owns their property, it is the homeowner who may be at fault. There are certain specifics depending on the accident if it may be the homeowner who is at fault. These include insurance and ability to pay.

It is always important to report the accident to your employer. This is also true if you had the accident whilst you were out doing your deliveries.

How We Can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts, we work with solicitors who have years of experience dealing with personal injury claims. This includes accidents at work. So contact us today by filling in our contact form, or call us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly, knowledgeable advisors.

Accidents on Public Transport for Students

University students across the UK are currently travelling home for Christmas, with many using public transport. During this time, with the rush for many students to get home before the 9th December, the likelihood of accidents on public transport may rise. There could be more road traffic accidents, or accidents at stations due to the rush of people travelling.

Students have been told to travel between 3-9 December if they test negative for COVID-19. This is because the infection rates will generally be lower after the mass testing that they have undergone. They are planning on doing this to reduce the risk of the students passing the virus to their loved ones. The government and universities are likely to stagger the return to universities after the Christmas period in January.

Students on Public Transport

There will undoubtedly be a lot of students using public transport during this week, and with that the amount of accidents may rise. Accidents on public transport can occur on buses, trains, taxis, and more.

According to a report by the BBC, students in England can travel as long as they have had a negative test result. In Scotland students must have two negative test results in 5 days before they can travel. If students test positive, then they must self-isolate before being able to travel.

The public transport companies may add extra transport for this period. This may also cause the number of accidents to rise.

Accidents on Public Transport

The main accident that can occur on public transport is a road traffic accident (RTA). For example, if you are on a bus and a driver hits the bus, or vice-versa, then you may be able to claim. This includes if the accident was the bus driver’s fault.

Another accident that may happen on public transport includes accidents because of the rush of people trying to get on transport, such as a fall at a station. If you have fallen at a station, and it was someone else’s fault, such as a floor that has been recently cleaned but does not have a wet floor sign, then you may be able to make a claim.

What to do if you have an accident on public transport?

If you have an accident on public transport, the first thing you need to do is report the accident. That can be to the bus driver, the bus or train company, or the taxi company. Then you need to make a GP appointment or go to A&E to see the extent of your injuries.

It could also be beneficial to you if there are witnesses to the accident. That could be other passengers or other drivers that were involved in the accident. Or it could be any staff if your accident happened at a station.

How We Can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts, we work with solicitors who have years of experience dealing with personal injury claims. This includes accidents on public transport. Contact us today by filling in our contact form, or by calling us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly, knowledgeable advisors.

Common Black Friday Accidents

Black Friday is one of the busiest shopping days of the year. It has been a massive day in the USA for many years, but in the past few years, the phenomenon has spread to the UK. Many items are reduced on the day, and its surrounding days to kickstart Christmas shopping, but it is not without its risks. With the increased number of shoppers, there is an increase in Black Friday accidents.

Whilst this year it is, understandably being held online, in the past it has led people to flood to shops.  With more shops starting to open again in some parts of the country in the lead up to Christmas, the number of accidents may rise. There are some accidents, however, that happen more than others in this period.

Common Black Friday Accidents in Shops

Most accidents that happen on Black Friday and the festive period do so in shops. This can be due to health and safety issues, inadequate staffing, or the fault of other members of the public. Shops have a duty of care, set out in the Occupier’s Liability Act 1984, to ensure that no one is injured whilst on their premises.

This is especially important on Black Friday and during the festive period, as the number of shoppers increases. Businesses and shop owners, at this time, must take even more care to make sure no one has an accident. This includes making sure there are adequate members of staff in to deal with the increased footfall and making sure they have the correct training to deal with the numbers.

Falling Items

It is no surprise that many Black Friday accidents happen in shops. A big cause of accidents in shops is falling items hitting people. Falling items can be dangerous in any circumstance, but may be made worse around the festive period. If the items fall due to the fault of someone else, for example items not being stacked correctly or people pulling items off shelves in an unsafe way, then it may be something you can claim for.


Another accident that can be caused on and around Black Friday is crushing. Causes of these accidents include people rushing to get certain items, and it can cause serious injuries. If shops do not have the correct security or health and safety measures, this can lead to more accidents.


Another form of accident that can happen on Black Friday is assault. There may be cases where someone assaults you trying to get an item, or in the rush to get to the sales. There is a body who deal with assault compensation cases. They are known as the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, or CICA.

Common Black Friday Accidents on the Road

There can also be accidents during the festive period before you even enter a shop. There are many accidents that happen on the roads and in car parks too. Causes of these accidents can include speeding, driving carelessly, and drivers fighting for parking spaces.

Black Friday and the Christmas period causes many drivers to drive more recklessly on the roads, with drivers speeding and not concentrating. According to Department for Transport statistics, the 10 days including and following Black Friday are when the most crashes happen on UK roads. This is likely due to the rush of shoppers.

How We Can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts, we work with solicitors who deal with all manner of personal injury claims. This includes accidents in shops, public places, and on the roads. If you have had an accident and it was someone else’s fault, then you may be able to claim compensation.

Contact us today by filling in our contact form, or by calling us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly, knowledgeable advisors.

Cycling Road Traffic Accidents Consultation

Cycling Road Traffic Accidents are amongst some of the most common types of RTA. Cyclists are amongst some of the most vulnerable types of road user. Cycling road traffic accidents also commonly cause injuries that can take a while to heal.

There is currently a consultation going on in the Government as to whether to change the rules in the highway code to reflect these different types of road user. This consultation focuses on improving the safety for vulnerable road users; in particular, cyclists, pedestrians, and horse riders.

The main proposals of the consultation are:

  • To introduce a hierarchy of road users which ensures those road users who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they may pose to others.
  • Clarifying existing rules on pedestrian priority on pavements, to advise that drivers should give way to pedestrians crossing or those waiting to cross the road.
  • Providing guidance on cyclist priority at junctions to advise drivers to give priority at junctions when travelling straight ahead.
  • Establishing guidance on safe passing distances and speeds when overtaking cyclists and horse riders.

The consultation finished on the 27th October 2020, with the results expected soon after.

Cycling Road Traffic Accidents

Cyclists are amongst the most vulnerable road users. Many of the road traffic accidents that happen every year in the UK involve cyclists. If you have been injured in an accident on the road as a cyclist then you may be able to claim compensation.

There are various reasons that cyclists can have an accident. The main causes of accidents on the road are: careless driving, speeding, and drivers not paying attention. They can often cause injury, and these injuries can take a while to heal.

Accidents involving uninsured drivers

Sometimes, in road traffic accidents, there are uninsured or untraceable drivers. In cases such as these, you may be able to claim from the Motor Insurers Bureau. The MIB specialise in cases of uninsured drivers, and is a body that is paid into by motor insurance companies throughout the UK. In cases that involve the MIB, they would pay the compensation.

Accidents involving a child

If your child had an accident whilst cycling, then you may be able to make a claim on their behalf. With accidents involving a child, the usual three-year time limit does not come into effect until they turn 18. So, in theory, you may have a longer time in which to make a claim. however, it is always better to start a potential claim as soon as possible.

How we can help

Here at The Compensation Experts, we work with solicitors who specialise in road traffic accidents. This includes cycling accidents. This means that they are extremely well placed to help you make a possible claim if you were involved in a road traffic accident as a cyclist. Contact us today by filling in our contact form, or call us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.

Bad Weather and Road Traffic Accidents

Now we are in Autumn in the UK, and heading towards Winter, there is no doubt that the weather will continue to deteriorate. We have already seen rain and flood warnings throughout the country in the past week, and this is likely to get worse before it gets better. Bad weather on the roads may even lead to accidents.

The latest reports from the Met Office have shown that the UK is about to face a huge storm, even post storm Alex that hit many parts of the country over the weekend. Parts of the UK have been issued weather and flood warnings, and the weather is set to stay bad in some parts throughout October.

And as we head into Winter, the weather may end up being even more unpredictable, with anything from rain, and wind, to sleet, snow and overnight frost.


Effects on the Bad Weather on Roads

This will lead to more dangerous conditions on the road, and, unfortunately, may lead to more road traffic accidents. According to the Met Office, as reported in the Express, 9 out of 10 weather-related deaths and serious injuries on the roads take place in the rain.

There are specific rules in the Highway Code for driving in bad weather conditions such as rain, wind, ice, and snow, but, unfortunately, not all drivers take notice of these guidelines.

Careless driving is one of the main causes of road traffic accidents in the UK, along with speeding. Both things can cause serious injury. Drivers must ensure that they are driving more carefully in bad weather conditions to prevent accidents happening. If people are driving carelessly, not paying attention whilst driving, or speeding, then accidents are likely to happen, especially in bad weather.


Accidents Due to Bad Weather on Roads

If you have had a road traffic accident because of someone else’s carelessness on the road due to the weather conditions, then you may be able to claim compensation.

When you have a road traffic accident, your injuries can be severe. They can range from whiplash and soft tissue damage, to more serious injuries. In the worst cases, they can even be fatal. Even the smallest injuries can take a while to heal after a road traffic accident.

You may have to take time off work to recover, and therefore lose out financially. Your car may have also suffered some damage, and you may even have to replace it. If all of this happened in an accident that was not your fault, then it can be even worse.


How We Can Help

Here at The Compensation Experts, we work with solicitors who deal with road traffic accidents daily. This means that they are well placed to help you to claim any compensation you may be entitled to. Contact us today by filling in our contact form, or by calling us on 01614138765 to speak to one of our friendly knowledgeable advisors.

Stormy conditions no excuse for unsafe pavements and roads

If you’ve gone to work, taken the kids to school or frankly done anything that’s required leaving the house in the last few days, then you will no doubt have experienced the effects of Storm Ciara.

With Storm Dennis now forecast to be hitting British shores by the weekend, we are likely to continue experiencing disruption to public transport, sporting fixtures and our daily lives for the foreseeable future too.

This bout of bad weather has meant that, in recent days, it has been hazardous to walk down the street – even in areas that haven’t experienced flooding thankfully, there has still been large volumes of ground water, as well as black ice in some parts, on pavements and roads.

Add to this the high winds, fallen trees and blizzard conditions that we’ve had, and it would be fair to say that it has also been treacherous to drive on UK roads the past few days, thereby increasing the likelihood of accidents happening.

It is the responsibility of your local council to ensure that the highways and byways around you – this includes both the roads and pavements – are cleared and gritted in icy and windy conditions and so, safe to travel on. Similarly, it is the duty of Highways England to make sure that the nation’s motorways are safe for motorists to use, while it is the responsibility of Transport Scotland north of the border.

If this is not done, and you are involved in a road traffic accident (RTA), or suffer a slip, trip or fall while walking down the street, you may be entitled to compensation.

At The Compensation Experts, we work with specialist law firms who have a track record of making successful compensation claims against local councils and after RTAs have occurred. We and the legal firms we work with have a lot of experience with these types of cases and so, are well-placed to help you get you the maximum amount of compensation.

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident or have sustained any type of injury while out in public the last few days, the stormy conditions we have been experiencing are not an excuse. Therefore, you may be entitled to compensation.

Do not hesitate to contact The Compensation Experts via the contact form on our website or by calling 0161 413 8765.

Scottish Compensation Reform Affects Thousands of British Drivers

Recent changes to the personal injury compensation scheme from the UK government aren’t going down a treat. Some simply describe it as being simply “not enough” by insurers around the country. This could affect thousands of British drivers across the UK. (more…)

Record Breaking Wheelchair Compensation Win

A Brisbane man who became wheelchair-bound after a car accident left him with severe brain injuries has been awarded a record $20.5 million in compensation.

Chrys Barker, aged 28, and his cousin, Bobby Hobbs, aged 20, were hit by a drunk driver in Caboolture near Brisbane in January 2014. Mr Hobbs was killed instantly in the collision while Mr Barker was flown by helicopter to a hospital. He suffered such serious brain damage that he can no longer speak and is in a wheelchair for life. While he can understand conversations, he can only communicate through eye movements.

The drunk driver was a former Navy man, Craig Edward Jones. At the time of the incident, the investigators estimated that Jones’ blood-alcohol reading was between 0.256 – 0.32%. He lost control of his vehicle and spun out into 3 cars. The people in the third vehicle suffered only minor injuries.

At the time of the incident, Jones was under a probationary driver’s license which required him to have an ‘alcohol ignition interlock’ fitted which would prevent the car from starting unless he had a zero blood alcohol reading. This device was not fitted at the time of the incident. Jones had 3 previous drink driving convictions. He was disqualified from driving for life and was sentenced to 8 years in prison in 2015.

A third-party personal injury insurer accepted full liability. The insurer originally suggested that Mr Barker should live in a care home for the rest of his life, which would cost $3 million. However, a neurosurgeon recommended that he would have a better chance at rehabilitation if he was cared for at home. Mr Barker’s family wished to bring him home, and the insurance company agreed to pay for the adaptations needed to move Mr Barker to the family home in Donnybrook.

The $20.5 million compensation figure, however, has taken 4 years to be settled upon as Chrys’ health needed to stabilise before the figure could be agreed upon. Queensland Supreme Court sanctioned the compensation earlier this year.

An independent trustee company will invest and manage the compensation to ensure Chrys has the care he needs for the rest of his life. The money received from the pay-out will be used to pay for Mr Barker’s rehabilitation, increased insurance, care costs, and home modification costs.

Mr Barker’s mother, Betty Barker, said: ‘To know that the funds are there now for Chrys to be looked after for the rest of his life… it’s just a relief.’

‘Every doorway had to be widened for a wheelchair. Chrys is a big strong boy, he’s in a good-sized wheelchair, and most average doorways are too small for Chrys.’

The insurance company’s head of communications, Paul Turner, said: ‘It has really set the boundaries for future settlements of this size, and a lot of that is based on Chrys’ age and the severity of his injuries. This was a really complex case medically, and we had to ensure that Chrys was covered for life and we got the best cover possible.’

If you have would like to discuss a similar accident or have been affected by this story, then it is in your best interest to get in contact with us at The Compensation Experts where we can discuss your legal issue and help you to make a claim.